[R-sig-DB] RODBC connection to Oracle on 64-bit RHEL box failing

Harlan Harris h@r|@n @end|ng |rom h@rr|@@n@me
Wed Mar 24 16:02:05 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz using me.com>wrote:

> Interesting. Monroe is the guy that I had communicated with last year on
> this point. Presumably either they were not yet ready to announce anything
> and/or it was still on their TODO list.
>
> Can the 64 bit driver co-exist with the 32 bit driver or is it a choice of
> one or the other? In other words, can I create 32 bit and 64 bit DSN's
> separately, so that I can use either 32 bit or 64 bit R as I may need
> interchangeably?

I have no idea! :)

> I would certainly never speak for Prof. Ripley, but I can tell you that
> during my 8+ years of using R, whether it be via onlist postings or my
> periodic offlist communications with him, I have never had a reason to doubt
> his availability or responsiveness when it comes to anything R related,
> whether that be 'base R' as a member of R Core, or the other packages that
> he maintains. That experience includes both day and night for any given time
> zone...

In theory I agree, but if (heaven forbid) Prof. Ripley were hit by a bus,
this could never get fixed. That's not true for R as a whole (see that
interesting article in a recent R Journal), but it is true for a number of
non-core packages... And Oracle is not very high on the list of databases
used by R's core user base!

> I checked the archives and at least recently, don't see a post here from
> David after late 2008, but I would not hesitate to send him an e-mail
> directly, which appears to be daj025 using gmail.com or dj using bell-labs.com.

Ah, thanks, will do.

 -Harlan