[R-sig-DB] ORACLE driver Ubuntu

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Tue Mar 2 22:31:20 CET 2010

Luis,

The service id setting that you have in odbc.ini seems a bit strange. Typically the sid does not contain the server's IP address, but a name that corresponds to the service name designated for the Oracle server and possibly associated with a particular database on the server. This is typically where the tnsnames.ora file comes into play in order to match up with the tns listener service configuration on the Oracle server.

There is a need to have consistency in the names and configuration settings used across tnsnames.ora, odbcinst.ini and odbc.ini.

There is a bunch of config information on the Oracle site here:

  http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/gateways.111/b31042/configodbc.htm

that you might find helpful.

BTW, I believe that the Easysoft drivers are still purchased? Oracle does offer free ODBC drivers for 32 and 64 bit Linux:

  http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/index.html

EasySoft also has a Getting Started Guide here:

  http://www.easysoft.com/products/data_access/odbc_oracle_driver/getting_started.html

and some additional technical content here:

  http://www.easysoft.com/support/kb/products/odbc_oracle_driver/index.html

You may need to contact the EasySoft folks for additional support, which you should be entitled to since you have presumably paid for their product.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz