[R-sig-DB] RODBC missing values in integer columns repost

Rob Forler r|or|er @end|ng |rom uch|c@go@edu
Tue Feb 16 21:06:18 CET 2010

Hello, (this is a repost from
http://n4.nabble.com/RODBC-missing-values-in-integer-columns-td1557679.html),
but I get the feeling it is more appropriate to post this question in this
mailing list.

We are having some strange issues with RODBC related to integer columns.
Whenever we do a sql query the data in a integer column is 150 actual data
points then 150 0's then 150 actual data points then 150 0's. However, our
database actually has numbers where the 0's are filled in. Furthermore,
other datatypes do not have this problem: double and varchar are correct and
do not alternate to null. Also, if we increase the rows_at_time to 1024
there are larger gaps between the 0's and actual data. The server is a
sybase IQ database. We have tested it on a different database sybase ASE and
we still get this issue.

For example :

We have the following query

sqlString = "Select ActionID, Velocity from ActionDataTable"

#where ActionID is of integer type and Velocity is of double type.
connection = odbcConnect("IQDatabase"); #this database is a sybase IQ
database
sqlData = sqlQuery(connection, sqlString);

sqlData$ActionID might be 1,2,3,4,5,6,....150, 0,0,0,0,0,0,0,....,0,0,0,
301,302,303,304,.....448,449,
500,0,0,0...,0,0

and Velocity will have data values along the whole column without these big
areas of 0's.

Thanks for the help,
Robert Forler

some more info
> t(t(odbcGetInfo(connection)))
                 [,1]
DBMS_Name        "Adaptive Server Anywhere"
DBMS_Ver         "12.70.0000"
Driver_ODBC_Ver  "03.51"
Data_Source_Name "dbname"
Driver_Name      "Adaptive Server Anywhere"
Driver_Ver       "09.00.0001"
ODBC_Ver         "03.52.0000"
Server_Name      "dbname"