[R-sig-DB] dbWriteTable permission problem on Mac OSX

Thu Nov 5 15:09:18 CET 2009

On 5 November 2009 at 08:39, McGehee, Robert wrote:
| So following the spirit of Dirk's advice, I resolved the problem by running
| the PostgreSQL database from my user account, rather than the 'postgres' user
| I had been using. Imports happened smoothly afterwards. Presumably 'postgres'
| couldn't see the temp files that my user was creating.

Hm, my postgres servers (running versions 8.2 and 8.3, 8.2 has the default
port)  run as user postgres:

edd using ron:~> pstree -u | grep postgres
     |-postgres(postgres)---2*[postgres]
     |-postgres(postgres)---4*[postgres]
edd using ron:>

Let's look at modes of /tmp, I have

edd using ron:~/src/debian/CRAN> ls -ld /tmp
drwxrwxrwt 43 root root 19456 2009-11-05 08:04 /tmp

So there is a sticky bit set for 'other' (the trailing t).  What do you have?

| Also on this note, the first error I encountered with 'dbWriteTable' when
| running from my user account and pg from the 'postgres' account informed me
| that the '\copy' command required superuser access. Granting my pg account
| Postgres superuser abilities fixed that, but I think it should be noted
| that the current implementation seems to require a wide-open set-up to use
| bulk copy.
|
| I'm still keen to try out Whit's solution as well as a direct binary
| connection may get around the permission problems and has the potential to
| be faster. I'll report back if I discover anything interesting for the
| group.

Yes, it would also be nice to get that ported into RPostgreSQL.

Dirk