[R-sig-DB] Fwd: rmysql and strings containg \n

H. Felix Wittmann h|w|ttm@nn @end|ng |rom goog|em@||@com
Tue Oct 20 23:37:24 CEST 2009

I' ve noticed a few typos in my previous post therefore I send a
cleaned up version

require(RMySQL)

m <- dbDriver("MySQL")
myCon <- dbConnect(m,group = 'whateverGroup')
# replace this (ie 'whateverGroup') by the appropriate group specified
in your my.cnf file
# on a typical UBUNTU installation you can
# modify this using the command line editor (eg bash) by this command
# sudo nano /etc/mysql/my.cnf

test <- data.frame(id=1,myString='beginning1 \n end1')
# the above line produces (this is what the output should like like) :
# > test
#   id           myString
# 1  1 beginning1 \n end1

dbWriteTable(myCon,name='test', value=test)
dbReadTable(myCon,name='test')
# the above line produces (here we can see that the output is not the
same as above) :
#       id    myString
# 1      1 beginning1
#  end1 NA        <NA>