[R-sig-DB] RMySQL doesn't auto-reconnect

Paul Gilbert pg||bert @end|ng |rom b@nk-b@nque-c@n@d@@c@
Fri Aug 28 18:34:09 CEST 2009

Jack

It is possible this is a firewall, but I think there is also a
connection timeout parameter on the server, which can be adjusted. I'm
not sure what the default is, but I don't usually have trouble unless I
leave a connection sitting idle overnight. Probably the firewall has
some sort of connection timeout too. I think both these timeouts should
depend on idle time, so are not consistent with the problem you report.

Auto-reconnect would fix your problem, but I don't think you should be
getting dropped in the first place, unless you are really leaving the
connection idle for a long time.  If you are doing that, I would not
recommend auto-reconnect  (for security reasons).

Paul

Jeffrey Horner wrote:
> Jack Tanner wrote:
>
>> After I do library(RMySQL), dbConnect(), and run a few queries, I
>> sometimes get this:
>>
>> Error in mysqlExecStatement(conn, statement, ...) :
>>  RS-DBI driver: (could not run statement: MySQL server has gone away)
>>
>> If I issue a dbConnect() again, I can run queries again ... for a
>> little while, and then I get another "server has gone away".
>>
>> The MySQL server is on a separate machine from the client. It's
>> entirely possible that there's one or more firewalls in between, which
>> could be causing the problem. The
>>
>> I understand that MySQL has auto-reconnect functionality:
>>
>> http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/how-to-enable-disable-auto-reconnect-in-mysql/
>>

>> Does RMySQL allow me to turn on auto-reconnect? If so, how?
>

> Unfortunately it doesn't right now, but that would be a great addition.
> I've often had to test for the connection going away for unknown reasons
> as well.
>
> I'll pencil it in for the next release as it's easy to add.
>
> Jeff
>

>> > version
>>               _                          platform
>> i386-redhat-linux-gnu      arch           i386
>> os             linux-gnu                  system         i386,
>> linux-gnu            status
>> major          2                          minor
>> 9.1                        year           2009
>> month          06                         day
>> 26                         svn rev        48839
>> language       R                          version.string R version
>> 2.9.1 (2009-06-26)
>> > mysqlClientLibraryVersions()
>> 5.0.45 5.0.45
>> 50045  50045

La version française suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately from

Le présent courriel peut contenir de l'information privilégiée ou confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires désignés est interdite. Si vous recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer immédiatement et envoyer sans délai à
l'expéditeur un message électronique pour l'aviser que vous avez éliminé de votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel reçu.