[R-sig-DB] RMySQL doesn't auto-reconnect

Jack Tanner |hok @end|ng |rom hotm@||@com
Thu Aug 27 04:56:04 CEST 2009

After I do library(RMySQL), dbConnect(), and run a few queries, I
sometimes get this:

Error in mysqlExecStatement(conn, statement, ...) :
  RS-DBI driver: (could not run statement: MySQL server has gone away)

If I issue a dbConnect() again, I can run queries again ... for a little
while, and then I get another "server has gone away".

The MySQL server is on a separate machine from the client. It's entirely
possible that there's one or more firewalls in between, which could be
causing the problem. The

I understand that MySQL has auto-reconnect functionality:

http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/how-to-enable-disable-auto-reconnect-in-mysql/

Does RMySQL allow me to turn on auto-reconnect? If so, how?

 > version
               _
platform       i386-redhat-linux-gnu
arch           i386
os             linux-gnu
system         i386, linux-gnu
status
major          2
minor          9.1
year           2009
month          06
day            26
svn rev        48839
language       R
version.string R version 2.9.1 (2009-06-26)
 > mysqlClientLibraryVersions()
5.0.45 5.0.45
 50045  50045