[R-sig-DB] Problem using RODBC to access a Netezza appliance

Cater, Kenneth kenneth@c@ter @end|ng |rom b@nko|@mer|c@@com
Thu Jul 23 22:29:14 CEST 2009

I've previously posted an issue I was having with accessing our Netezza
Appliance with RODBC, after performing a system call trace, it appeared
that the SQL statement was being sent to the Netezza, and the Netezza
was sending data back to R; but suddenly the data would stop and the
select system call reported a timeout.  Since then, I've changed the
QueryTimeout in odbc.ini to set it over 200 seconds; however this did
not resolve the issue.  In order to verify that the other components
were not at fault I used iSQL (provided by unixODBC) to send that exact
same query to the Netezza, and that worked.  So at this point, unixODBC,
and libnzodbc.so appear to be working as designed, but I cannot figure
out why RODBC is terminating the query prematurely.  It should also be
noted that I ran the same query with a limit set to five (to prevent the
return of over 90,000 entries), and still the data was not being
reported by RODBC.  If you having any experience with this scenario and
you've managed to resolve the issue, please let me know how you did it,
any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Kenneth Cater

Quantitative Risk Technology