[R-sig-DB] how to access file backed big matrix (package bigmemory)

utkarshsinghal utk@r@h@@|ngh@| @end|ng |rom g|ob@|-@n@|yt|c@@com
Mon Apr 20 16:44:30 CEST 2009

*Hi All,

I am using the following code to create a file backed big matrix.*

 > library(bigmemory)
 > xdes = describe(x)
 > x = read.big.matrix(<datapath>
,header=T,type="double",shared=T,backingfile = "xfile.bin", backingpath
= <backingpath>)

*Uptil this stage everything seems fine, the file xfile.bin is created.
I saved the object "xdes" and cleard my workspace.*

 > save.image("xdes")
 > rm(list=ls())

*Now I want to access my data. So I tried:*

 > load("xdes")
 > y = attach.big.matrix(xdes, backingpath = <backingpath>)
'boost::interprocess::interprocess_exception'
  what():  No such file or directory
Aborted

*I also tried with xfile and xfile.bin in place of xdes inside
attach.big.matrix(....), but no success.*
*Can anybody suggest what am I doing wrong?

Regards
Utkarsh*