[R-sig-DB] RMySQL with 64-bit R on Mac OS X

Jonathan Marc Bearak jon@th@n@be@r@k @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Feb 15 02:51:07 CET 2009

Hi,

I have been trying to run RMySQL under 64-bit R on Mac OS X (Leopard).

It works fine when I run R as a 32-bit application.  As a 64-bit
application, however, I cannot load it.

I have a 64-bit MySQL server installed.  I don't even have 32-bit
MySQL binaries on my computer (not that I can find anyway, so I'm not
sure why this is working at all when I switch to 32-bit R (/usr/local/
mysql/bin/mysql: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64).

If anyone on this list has an idea what might be wrong, I would
appreciate any advice.

(Btw, I've searched the archives trying to figure this out.  I saw the
notes about Windows and MySQL 5.1, and just in case, I checked -- I am
running MySQL 5.0.67, not 5.1.)

My life will not end if I have to run 32-bit R (especially since I can
just run the db queries in 32-bit and then switch back to 64-bit R
when I'm done), and arguably I should have spent my time running
statistics rather than trying to figure this out ... but it is gnawing
at me...

Thank you.

 > require (RMySQL)
Error in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...) :
   unable to load shared library '/Users/jonathan/Library/R/2.8/
library/RMySQL/libs/x86_64/RMySQL.so':
   dlopen(/Users/jonathan/Library/R/2.8/library/RMySQL/libs/x86_64/
RMySQL.so, 6): Symbol not found: _mysql_affected_rows
   Referenced from: /Users/jonathan/Library/R/2.8/library/RMySQL/libs/
x86_64/RMySQL.so
   Expected in: dynamic lookup

Error : .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'RMySQL'

--
Jonathan Marc Bearak
jonathan.bearak using gmail.com