[R-sig-DB] RMySQL error under Windows Server 2008 64-bit

Michael Styer m@tyer @end|ng |rom @t@n|ord@edu
Fri Dec 19 21:17:33 CET 2008

Michael Styer wrote:
> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

>>> OK, some further results. I set MYSQL_HOME="C:/Program
>>> Files/MySQL/MySQL Server 5.0". Sys.getenv("MYSQL_HOME") was escaping
>>> the double-backslashes in the value I used before.
>>>
>>> Now RMySQL is able to find the installation, but I think we do run
>>> into an incompatibility with 64-bit MySQL at this point. Trying to
>>> load the RMySQL library I get this error:
>>>
>>>  > library("RMySQL")
>>>  Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
>>>    unable to load shared library
>>> 'C:/PROGRA~2/R/R-28~1.0/library/RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.dll':
>>>    LoadLibrary failure:  %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
>>>

>>>  In addition: Warning message:
>>>  package 'RMySQL' was built under R version 2.8.1
>>>  Error : .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'RMySQL'
>>>  Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RMySQL'
>>>
>>> The file RMySQL.dll does exist in that location, but it fails to
>>> load. This is beyond my knowledge; would that be because it needs a
>>> 32-bit version of MySQL to load correctly?
>>
>> Yes, it does.  A 64-bit installation should not be under Program Files
>> (at least on the systems I've seen), so install a 32-bit application
>> somewhere else.
>
> OK, thanks. This is the first 64-bit Windows machine I've worked with
> myself. It seems to install 64-bit apps in Program Files and 32-bit apps
> in Program Files (x86).
>
> I'm downloading the 32-bit version as we speak; I'll try installing that
> and pointing R to that installation.

And that works. At least, RMySQL loads; I'm not sure what limitations
there are when using a 32-bit MySQL client with a 64-bit server, but
that's a question for a different list.

Thank you for your assistance.

Michael