[R-sig-DB] RMySQL error under Windows Server 2008 64-bit

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Fri Dec 19 21:04:21 CET 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, Michael Styer wrote:

> Michael Styer wrote:
>> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>>> Are you running R on that server?
>>
>> Yes, it's all happening on the same server.
>>
>>> If not (the most likely answer), you need MySQL on the client.
>>>
>>> If yes, I think you need 32-bit MySQL for RMySQL, even with a 64-bit
>>> server, since R for Windows is 32-bit.  But I've not seen a 64-bit Windows
>>> install of MySQL.
>>
>> That's interesting. It doesn't seem to be reaching an incompatibility with
>> the version of MySQL, though. The installation routine for RMySQL doesn't
>> seem to be able to find the MySQL installation at all, so I was trying to
>> figure out how to make sure it at least found the installation.
>
> OK, some further results. I set MYSQL_HOME="C:/Program Files/MySQL/MySQL
> Server 5.0". Sys.getenv("MYSQL_HOME") was escaping the double-backslashes in
> the value I used before.
>
> Now RMySQL is able to find the installation, but I think we do run into an
> incompatibility with 64-bit MySQL at this point. Trying to load the RMySQL
> library I get this error:
>
>  > library("RMySQL")
>  Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
>    unable to load shared library
> 'C:/PROGRA~2/R/R-28~1.0/library/RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.dll':
>    LoadLibrary failure:  %1 is not a valid Win32 application.
>

>  In addition: Warning message:
>  package 'RMySQL' was built under R version 2.8.1
>  Error : .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'RMySQL'
>  Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RMySQL'
>
> The file RMySQL.dll does exist in that location, but it fails to load. This
> is beyond my knowledge; would that be because it needs a 32-bit version of
> MySQL to load correctly?

Yes, it does.  A 64-bit installation should not be under Program Files (at
least on the systems I've seen), so install a 32-bit application somewhere
else.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk