[R-sig-DB] [R] RMySQL Keeps crashing

Thu Dec 11 16:41:27 CET 2008

On 11 December 2008 at 09:17, Jeffrey Horner wrote:
| > Uwe Ligges and I built and tested RMySQL against 5.0.67, so the
| > recommendation is to update your Windows client to that version.
|
| Do you have a recommendation for me as the maintainer going forward for
| supporting current and future MySQL releases? It seems like Peter's case
| won't be last as MySQL 5.1.30 is now the recommended download (at least
| when you click the "Download" button on mysql.com).

As it is a rather biting constraint, I would test in configure. Many many
moons ago I added this to RQuantLib's configure which is now quaint as the
2.* series rests in compiler heaves:

AC_PROG_CXX
if test "${GXX}" = yes; then
    gxx_version=`${CXX} -v 2>&1 | grep "^.*g.. version" | \\
		       sed -e 's/^.*g.. version *//'`
    case ${gxx_version} in
        1.*|2.*)
	     AC_MSG_WARN([Only g++ version 3.0 or greater can be used with RQuantib.])
	     AC_MSG_ERROR([Please use a different compiler.])
        ;;
    esac
fi

You could use similar logic to ensure [min, max] intervals for the MySQL
version you want to support.

Dirk