[R-sig-DB] RMySQL release candidate 0-7.0

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Mon Nov 17 16:49:21 CET 2008

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Paul Gilbert wrote:

> Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>> On 16 November 2008 at 11:26, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> | 5) Uwe Ligges and I and Dirk Edelbuettel (as maintainer) have worked out
>> [ Almost:  s/Edel/Eddel/ ]
>>
>> | way to have RPostgreSQL built on the main Windows package builder.  We |
>> could try to do the same here, but none of us are happy with distributing |
>> a binary build that has no tests at all (as RMySQL runs no actual |
>> examples).  So can we please have a test suite?  You will need to allow |
>> the DBMS account, password and database name to be set via environment |
>> variables, as for RPostgreSQL.
>>
>> That was a leftover of me trying to get the Summer of Code whom I mentored
>> for RPostgreSQL student to write 'test-driven' code. Which didn't work so
>> well as he wrote code but few tests, but I ended up writing some tests for
>> him.  Kurt then had an issue with these tests running _un_conditionally and
>> hence upsettting CRAN tests (that have no backend) so between Uwe, Brian
>> and
>> myself we came up with code where each file in tests/ starts as

>> if ((Sys.getenv("POSTGRES_USER") != "") &
>>     (Sys.getenv("POSTGRES_HOST") != "") &
>>     (Sys.getenv("POSTGRES_DATABASE") != "")) {
>
> I've been setting this information in ~.pgpass (~/.my.cnf for MySQL) in Linux
> and understood it could be set in Windows %APPDATA%\postgresql\pgpass.conf
> and C:\my.cnf, although it may be machine specific rather than user specific
> in Windows.  I believe setting this way is considered more secure, although
> security may not be  the concern for package tests.  I assume this option was
> considered. Is there a complication that makes it difficult?

Yes, the DBMS account used for testing is not my own working account.

I really don't see giving that having the settings in your file is any
more secure: they are even in a known place.  Note that I at least do not
set a password this way.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk