[R-sig-DB] RMySQL release candidate 0-7.0

Uwe Ligges ||gge@ @end|ng |rom @t@t|@t|k@tu-dortmund@de
Sun Nov 16 13:46:24 CET 2008

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> 1) It seems that linking against libmysql.dll works on some versions and
> not others, so I've left it linking against libmysql.lib (which is an
> optional install).
>
> 2) There were lots of problems if MYSQL_HOME had a space in the path.
> It was easier to overcome these by using environment variables directly
> in src/Makevars.win.
>
> 3) It is possible to make use of mechanisms introduced in R 2.7.0 to set
> a DLLpath when loading RMySQL.dll and to retrieve the MySQL location
> from the Windows registry.  So it really isn't necessary to install
> libmysql.dll.  I've written and tested code which does that.
>
> 4) Distributing libmysql.dll without the sources is not allowed unless
> there is an exception somewhere I have not managed to find, as
> libmysql.dll is distributed under GPL-2.  Although MySQL has an
> exception to allow combination with other FLOSS licences, it is not
> clear to me that you meet those conditions so perhaps even if you do
> distribute the sources the package has to be under GPL-2 (and some would
> interpet that as a requirement even by dynamically linking to
> libmysql).  I don't see any advantage in not licensing RMySQL as GPL-2,
> which would avoid all the controversy.  I'll push you in that direction
> by stating that the changes I have suggested I would much prefer to be
> incorporated under GPL-2.
>
> 5) Uwe Ligges and I and Dirk Edelbuettel (as maintainer) have worked out
> a way to have RPostgreSQL built on the main Windows package builder.  We
> could try to do the same here, but none of us are happy with
> distributing a binary build that has no tests at all (as RMySQL runs no
> actual examples).  So can we please have a test suite?  You will need to
> allow the DBMS account, password and database name to be set via
> environment variables, as for RPostgreSQL.

I am happy to hear there is some progress on RMySQL.

I can easily install some MySQL instance on the main builder in order to
allow checks for RMySQL. Please provide the name of environment
variables for account, password and database name that I will set on my
machine, e.g. MySQL_database, MySQL_account, MySQL_passwd

If you have such a version prepared, please send me the sources *before*
submitting it to CRAN so that we can apply some checks in advance.

Best wishes,
Uwe