[R-sig-DB] [Rd] problems executing a bulk load with SQL server

Grey Moran grey@mor@n @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Nov 7 13:41:44 CET 2008

I tried Prof Ripley's advice (i.e. to add the extra quotes arourn the
path & filename) as follows:
sqlQuery(channel, createTable.q)  # successful
loadData.q <- paste("BULK INSERT ", newTableName, " FROM '", inputCSV,
"' WITH (FIRSTROW=2, LASTROW=10);", sep="")

> loadData.q
[1] "BULK INSERT US15Aug2008 FROM
'\\\\rhea\\users\\Risk\\Dump\\US_15Aug2008_50paths.csv' WITH
(FIRSTROW=2, LASTROW=10);"

sqlQuery(channel, loadData.q )
[1] "[RODBC] ERROR: Could not SQLExecDirect"
The error returned is very laconic - i.e. no clear error message is
given beyond 'could not execute'.

Sean, I do not have access to the iSQL command line.

Thank you both for the help offered. My questions are offered with
some trepidation for protocol and content naivete but so far the web
search and my dba have not managed to resolve this.

Grey