[R-sig-DB] Compiling RPostgreSQL on Ubuntu?

Prasenjit Kapat k@p@tp @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Oct 30 19:08:27 CET 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 7:14 AM, Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd using debian.org> wrote:

> On 30 October 2008 at 02:50, Prasenjit Kapat wrote:
> | I am looking for some instructions on compiling the source package on
> | a Ubuntu 8.04 machine with R 2.7.1.
>
> No different than
> 1)  Install the Postgresql header files:
>
>        sudo apt-get install libpq-dev
>
>    This is always the same: if you want to build against a certain
>    feature or library, you need the corresponding -dev package.
>
> 2)  Install the RPostgresql package, either via install.packages() from
>    inside R (but you may need to start R via sudo), or using
>
>        sudo R CMD INSTALL RPostgresql_0.1-1.tar.gz
>
>    if you downloaded sources.
>
> Hope this helps,  Dirk

It does indeed. Thanks Dirk. For some reason, don't know why, I was
going on the "./configure && make && make install" route with the
"raw" sources downloaded from code.google.com. Life is simpler than
that :)

Regards,
PK