[R-sig-DB] RdbiPgSQL, OS X, and the location of libpq.5.dylib

Jason Foster c0rr35p0nd3nc3 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Aug 22 14:43:24 CEST 2008

> This is really a PostgreSQL-on-MacOS question.  On a modern Unix-
> alike you tell ld.so about such paths via entries in /etc/
> ld.so.conf.d, but then on all my systems libpq has been installed in
> standard places.
>
> I think you need to ask on a MacOS list (e.g. r-sig-mac) if no MacOS
> guru answers here.

That's my next step, but the one thing that I'd like to check
beforehand relates to:

>> dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/RdbiPgSQL/
>> libs/i386/RdbiPgSQL.so, 6): Library not loaded: /usr/local/pgsql/
>> lib/libpq.5.dylib

Has RdbiPgSQL hardcoded the path to libpq such that the library must
be in that location?

My understanding of Unix-alike dynamic loading isn't the best, but
looking at the error my impression is that even if I do add a new
location to DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH that the hardcoded path will be the only
one searched.  This might again be a MacOS question, but I'm wondering
if anyone has been able to use a prebuilt RdbiPgSQL binary with
Postgres in a non-standard location?

Thanks!

Jason

P.S.  The symnlink solution is working, but doesn't feel as elegant as
I'd like... but I am able to get things done.  Big thanks to the
RdbiPgSQL developers for allowing me to avoid using ODBC!