[R-sig-DB] SQLite and S4 classes with 6D arrays

Iago Mosqueira |@go@mo@que|r@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Feb 12 13:18:30 CET 2008

Hi,

I am exploring the possibility of using SQLite for storing out of memory
S4 objects composed of a number of slots, each having a 6D array. I am
    looking at mimicking the functionality offered by SQLiteDF, but in
this      case there is no need for such flexibility, as each 6D array
will fit     into a fixed DB structure. Columns will be of a given
class/data type an     name. Also, I need to overload a larger number of
methods, and do not     intend to transform my objects to data.frames in
the R workspace, so     direct use of SQLiteDF does not seem the best
option, although I will be      very likely seeking inspiration on such
a neat package.

I intend to deal with large objects, so I am trying to pass the objects
      directly from R to SQLite avoiding copies. So far I seem to have
been     able to do so using sqlite3_bind and SEXP pointers.

For this type of concrete use, I would like to know what do you think I
should consider using from DBI, or if I better off dealing directly with
      SQLite. I might consider in the future a similar package for
interaction      with MySQL, but I fear the kind of efficient connection
I am after will      mean I might not get much use from structuring my
package around DBI.     Also, any other suggestion or pointer for this
kind of specific   application will be most welcome.

Many thanks.

Iago