[R-sig-DB] Oracle connectivity

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Tue Jan 8 16:36:36 CET 2008

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Tudor Bodea wrote:

> Dear useRs,

Please do NOT cross-post: I have removed R-help.

> I would like to access a remote Oracle database through R but I just cannot
> find sufficient online information to do so. As a result, I am wondering if you
> can provide me with a link to a document that details the steps I need to
> undertake to successfuly complete the task (e.g., packages that I need to
> install/look into, the set up of the cnf file for remote access, etc.).
>
> My system: Windows XP, R2.6.1
> Investigated packages: DBI, RODBC

With RODBC, all you need is the Oracle ODBC drivers and a DSN set up.
That's not an R issue and your Oracle support should be able to help you
do it.

With DBI, you also need ROracle, and to compile it yourself for Windows.
It has been done in the past, but not AFAIK recently.