[R-sig-DB] DBI column names

Seth Falcon @|@|con @end|ng |rom |hcrc@org
Tue Jul 24 01:55:47 CEST 2007

>> Gabor Grothendieck wrote:
>> > It seems that the DBI package changes column names that have
>> > dots in them replacing the dots with underscores.  Is this really
>> > necessary?

The DBI package provides a generic make.db.names and a deafult
method.  In RSQLite, I believe this is only called when tables are
created using dbWriteTable.  So it isn't as if DBI (or RSQLite) is
preventing you from using (strange) column names in your DBs. -- Just
making it a bit difficult ;-)

The problem with changing this function is that anyone relying on
(coding around) this feature is going to get bitten.  Maybe we want an
additional argument to the dbWriteTable method?

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://bioconductor.org