[R-sig-DB] help on deciding which open-source database to use with R

ric@rdd m@iii@g oii m@thst@t@d@i@c@ ric@rdd m@iii@g oii m@thst@t@d@i@c@
Wed May 16 15:51:19 CEST 2007

Hello,
I have been using postgreSQL with the postGIS extension for a few years
now and I'm really happy with its performance and features. I still use
mySQL for other applications but what really determined my choice was the
fact that the OGC simple spatial features were fully implemented in
postGIS whereas mySQL only had limited support of spatial features.

As far as connecting from R goes, I have been using RODBC successfully and
found it to be in more active development than other R packages. The other
advantage of using RODBC is that you will setup ODBC connectivity to your
database, hence making it accessible to other software that provide ODBC
bindings. In my case, I connect to the same database server from R, SAS,
Perl, Matlab, Python and PHP through ODBC.

I run all this on a Linux box and it's been a great learning experience.
Both postgreSQL and postGIS are now available as packages and are easily
installed in Ubuntu. That's quite different from a few years ago where one
needed to built from source, a task that can be intimidating if you don't
have access to a good sysadmin/DBadmin person.

All the best.

Daniel Ricard
Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS, Canada