[R-sig-DB] RSQLite release candidate

Seth Falcon @|@|con @end|ng |rom |hcrc@org
Fri Dec 15 07:45:39 CET 2006

Hello all,

I've made a number of improvements to RSQLite and would welcome any
brave testers out there to give it a try before we push the update to
CRAN.

Candidate is available here (source and Windows binary):

    http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/misc/

Summary of changes:

1. Improved behavior when multiple connections are made to the same
   database file.  At least one case that resulted in an unclosable DB
   connection is now fixed.  I'm not sure we have this 100% yet, but I
   think we are on the right track.  Feedback, especially with
   reproducible examples, is welcome.

2. New implementation for dbWriteTable.  Instead of writing to temp
   files, use prepared queries.  This resolves issues related to
   embedded separator characters and eol issues on Windows.  There is
   also a nice performance benefit as the timings below demonstrate.

   For a data.frame containing 1e6 rows and 3 columns:

   current:
    > system.time(dbWriteTable(db, "t1", df, row.names=FALSE))
    [1] 27.062  1.680 28.768  0.000  0.000

   new:
    > system.time(dbWriteTable(db, "t1", df, row.names=FALSE))
    [1] 3.524 0.200 3.721 0.000 0.000

+ seth

--
Seth Falcon | Computational Biology | Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
http://bioconductor.org