[R-sig-DB] DBI problem after R upgrade

Parlamis Franklin |p@r|@m|@ @end|ng |rom m@c@com
Sat Nov 19 21:52:07 CET 2005

Update on this thread:

It turned out that, not only did I need to install RMySQL from
sources, I also needed to reinstall MySQL from sources, using gcc 3.3
as the c and c++ compiler.  The binary version of MySQL 5.0.15 was
compiled using gcc 4.0, which caused some kind of conflict with R
relating to the C API (R complained as follows):

>> ld: truncated or malformed archive: /usr/local/mysql/lib/
>> libmysqlclient.a (ranlib structures in table of contents extends past
>> the end of the table of contents, can't load from it)

Anyway, it all works now.  I am not sure whether it was the compiler
version that did the trick, of whether something else in my
configuration was different than in the MySQL binary (perhaps
relating to the ld flags) but it works.

FP