[R-sig-DB] PostgreSQL

Jim McLoughlin j|mmc|ough||n @end|ng |rom e@rth||nk@net
Wed Sep 7 18:43:56 CEST 2005

On Sep 6, 2005, at 12:53 AM, Tom Dye wrote:

> RdbiPgSQL is available as source, and even with
> export PG_LIB_DIR=/usr/local/pgsql/lib/ and
> export PG_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/local/pgsql/include/
> fails to install with the following messages:
>
> The downloaded packages are in
>      /private/tmp/RtmpzKE7wz/downloaded_packages
> checking for PQconnectdb in -lpq... no
>
> I could not find your PostgreSQL client libraries!
> Use --with-pgsql-libraries=PATH; if running R's INSTALL,
> use --configure-args='--with-pgsql-libraries=PATH'; or
> set PG_LIB_DIR in your environment to the library path,
> and rerun the configure/install.

I have not installed this on my mac in a while, but my guess is that
while these variables are set in you environment, they are not
available in R for some reason.

You could check whether they are set in the session by looking at
Sys.getenv()

If they are not there, I would try setting them directly in your R
session before installing.  I think you would do that with:

Sys.setenv("PG_LIB_DIR"="/usr/local/pgsql/lib")
Sys.setenv("PG_INCLUDE_DIR"="/usr/local/pgsql/include")

But I could be off on whether the variable names need to be quoted.

Jim