[R-sig-DB] PostgreSQL

Steve Miller @teve@m|||er @end|ng |rom jhu@edu
Mon Sep 5 21:23:53 CEST 2005

Tom --

You can always use the ODBC driver. I deploy the EnterpriseDB dialect of
Postgress:

channel <- odbcConnect("EnterpriseDB",uid="enterprisedb",pwd="orioles79")
fdaily <- sqlQuery(channel, paste("select * from frenchfamadaily"), as.is=T)
for (i in 1:ncol(fdaily))
{
	fdaily[,i] <- as.numeric(fdaily[,i])
}

Steve Miller
Steve.miller using jhu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: r-sig-db-bounces using stat.math.ethz.ch
[mailto:r-sig-db-bounces using stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Tom Dye
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 1:33 PM
To: R-sig-DB using stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: [R-sig-DB] PostgreSQL

Aloha All,

What is the best way to connect R and PostgreSQL?  Documentation for
the DBI package (in its various forms) suggests:

p <- dbDriver("PgSQL")
p <- dbDriver("RPgSQL")
p <- dbDriver("PostgreSQL")

none of which appear to work.

A post here last year notes that a PostgreSQL driver wasn't then written
for DBI and gives a solution using Rdbi and Rdbi.Pgsql, but I couldn't
find Rdbi in the packages on CRAN.  I'm stumped.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Tom

Thomas S. Dye, Ph.D.
T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc.
735 Bishop Street, Suite 315
Honolulu, Hawai`i 96813
Voice (808) 387-9352
Fax (808) 529-0884