[R-sig-DB] last_insert_id() problem

Pascal A. Niklaus P@@c@|@N|k|@u@ @end|ng |rom un|b@@@ch
Tue Mar 8 16:52:14 CET 2005

Hi all,

I am trying to insert a row into a table and then to get the value of an
auto_increment field back. From the mysql command line, this looks like this:

mysql> insert into results set fileid='abc';
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select last_insert_id();
+------------------+
| last_insert_id() |
+------------------+
|               12 |
+------------------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

However, I cannot successfully translate this into R. I tried:

  dbSendQuery(con,paste("insert into results set userID=",userID,sep="") )
  id <- dbGetQuery(con, "select LAST_INSERT_ID() AS I");

However, while a new row of data is inserted, id always returns 0. I wonder
whether this is because dbSendQuery is not the appropriate method to simply
execute a command, but I could not find an alternative.

Thanks for your help

Pascal

--
Pascal A. Niklaus