[R-sig-DB] Implementation of RMySQL

Jeffrey Horner je||@horner @end|ng |rom v@nderb||t@edu
Fri Jan 21 17:35:57 CET 2005

I noticed that this package stores pointers to MySQL related data
structures i R objects as an integer vector of up to length 3:

(from RMySQL/src/RS-DBI.h):
/* In R/S a dbObject is a foreign reference consisting of a vector
  * of 1, 2 or 3 integers.  In the C implementation we use these
  * R/S vectors as handles (we could have use pointers).
  */

Why were they not stored in the R object using the R External Pointer
interface, described here:

http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/references/weakfinex.html

On a related note, the connection is not closed when assigning NULL to
the connection object. This could be accomplished by using the
Finalization Interface described in the above reference... Any reason
this was not used?

Also, in light of a recent discussion on the R-devel mailing list(see
S3/S4 classes performance comparison), does the S4 implemented DBI
package hinder performance in any way for the RMySQL package?

--
Jeffrey Horner       Computer Systems Analyst         School of Medicine
615-322-8606         Department of Biostatistics   Vanderbilt University