[R-sig-DB] R MS-Sql database connection package

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Thu Oct 7 08:53:52 CEST 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Timothy H. Keitt wrote:

> I think the general preference is to subclass the DBI interface. See the
> DBI package.

I am not sure how `general' that preference is, but it is definitely not
part of the `rules'.

The only rule for a package to be accepted on CRAN is that it passes `R
CMD check' on the current and development versions of R.  That's a little
tricky where proprietary interfaces are concerned, but is workable as
packages such as ROracle show.

Using the DBI common interface would be desirable if it suffices for your
purposes, but it is your choice.