[R-sig-DB] Sybase anyone?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Sep 10 18:29:20 CEST 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 09:24:32AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> We're currently trying to figure how to let R (on Solaris) talk to ybase (on
> Solaris).  As there is (AFAIK) no R DBI interface package for Sybase, we
> tried RODBC with unixODBC and FreeTDS. We got halfway there -- we connect
> and get table info, but no actual content.

As so often, we figured it out just after I sent this. The key is that in

     odbcConnect(dsn, uid = "", pwd = "", case = "nochange",
                      believeNRows = TRUE)

believeNRows needs to be set to FALSE, and you're in business. That's all.

For the record, and in case somebody else will retrace the same steps, here
is what we did on Solaris 8 with current versions of R, RODBC, FreeTDS and
unixODBC:

i)   unixODBC-2.2.6
     ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/unixODBC-2.2.6 \
     --x-libraries=/usr/openwin/lib --x-includes=/usr/openwin/include

ii)  freetds-0.61
     ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/freetds-0.61 --with-tdsver=4.2 \
     --with-unixodbc=/usr/local/unixODBC-2.2.6

iii) freetds.conf file

     [FOO]
        host = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
        port = 2510
        tds version = 4.2
        database = FooDB

iv)  odbc.ini

     [FOODSN]
     Driver = /usr/local/freetds-0.61/lib/libtdsodbc.so
     #the below line is a valid name in freetds.conf
     Servername = FOO
     Server = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
     Port = 2510
     TDS_Version = 4.2
     Database = FooDB

     [Default]
     Driver          = /usr/local/freetds-0.61/lib/libtdsodbc.so

v)   odbcinst.ini

     [SYBASE]
     Driver             = /usr/local/freetds-0.61/lib/libtdsodbc.so
     Description        = TDS Sybase Driver
     FileUsage          = 1

     [Default]
     Driver          = /usr/local/freetds-0.61/lib/libtdsodbc.so

Hth, Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx