[R-sig-DB] PL/R alpha posted (was: license issues R vs. PostgreSQL)

Joe Conway m@|| @end|ng |rom joeconw@y@com
Tue Feb 11 20:21:36 CET 2003

A.J. Rossini wrote:
> Joe Conway <mail using joeconway.com> writes:
>>I'd very much like feedback from some R developers before a general
>>release -- would anyone be willing to give it a look if I post a link?
>>(after changing the license to GPL of course ;-))
>
> Yes.

Thanks!

OK - license changed to GPL, and source is available here:
   http://www.joeconway.com/plr/plr.0.1.1.alpha.tar.gz

The documentation, including preprocessed html, is in the tar ball. I've
also posted the html docs here:
   http://www.joeconway.com/plr/index.html

Installation:
   Place tar file in 'contrib' in the PostgreSQL source tree and untar.
   Then run:

     make
     make install

   You can use plr.sql to create the functions in your database of
   choice, e.g.

     psql mydatabase < plr.sql

   plr.sql is installed to /usr/local/pgsql/share/contrib on my system,
   but YMMV.

   This all generally works best if you're logged in as user postgres,
   and postgres owns the source tree. You may need to su to root in order
   to do `make install`

Also note:

     make installcheck

will create a datbase called regression, and run the regression test. In
addition to the documentation, the plr.out file in plr/expected is a
good source of usage examples.

PL/R should build cleanly with PostgreSQL 7.3.x and cvs HEAD. It was
developed using libR from R 1.6.2 under Red Hat 7.3 & 8.0 -- I've not
tested against other versions of R or different OSes.

Please let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Joe