[R-sig-DB] DBI drivers ?

Emmanuel Charpentier ch@rpent @end|ng |rom b@cbuc@dyndn@@org
Sat Aug 17 11:15:35 CEST 2002

Lurking on R-sig-DB archives, I saw, in a mail from David A. James that :

 > Last december I wrote DBI interfaces on top of both the existing
 > RPgSQL and RODBC, but I thought (and Tim agreed with me) that
 > the resulting layering of S4 on top of S3 classes wasn't ideal,
 > so these DBI.RpSQL and DBI.RODBC packages were not made public.

May I suggest to reconsider this decision ? As long as the *end-user*
interface is the same and the functions do indeed return what they are
supposed to return, offering these drivers would a) enable people to use
the DBI interface, therefore gaining familiarity with DBI, and, with a
bit of luck, b) luring someone with some time (and better coding
abilities than I have) to write the proper S4 interfaces.

In other words, it seems that we have a conflict between competence and
performance, and I think that offering competence first is, IMHO, a good
way to foster some performance enhancements by third parties.

Yet another way to tell it is the (tired) ESR motto "Release early,
release often".

I woukd be interested in your thoughts about this. Could you please CC
me, as I'M not sunbscribed to R-sig-DB ?

Sincerely yours,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier