[R-sig-DB] name of DBI package

Duncan Temple Lang dunc@n @end|ng |rom re@e@rch@be||-|@b@@com
Tue Oct 9 01:00:56 CEST 2001

> I had raised this with Tim.  One could argue for `SDBI' a la Omegahat
> but I do not think the `S' is necessary.
>
> I will wait with moving up the packages until the naming has been
> deciced.

Given the connection between R and Perl, Python & Java, it is entirely
possible that we will implement a version of the `DBI' interface using
Perl DBI, Python DBI or JDBC. (Saikat, David and I did this using Java
for the RSDBI interface.)  In that case, the ambiguity of talking
about DBI in the S and Perl worlds may warrant having an S prefixing
the package name.  In other words, we do want to think globally and
not assume that we are working entirely in the S world.

 D.