[R-sig-DB] Re: Rdbi package plus draft proposal (was Re: Rdbi package)

Kurt Hornik Kurt@Horn|k @end|ng |rom c|@tuw|en@@c@@t
Sun Oct 7 20:17:09 CEST 2001

>> > Not that I anticipate any major issues, but could we wait until the
>> > end of this week?  I'd like to check a couple of things (one that
>> > Torsten brought to my attention last week and has to do with data
>> > conversions, and portability to Splus being the other).
>>
>> End of this week is fine.
>>
>> -k

> Hi,

> Well, earlier this week I committed to taking a look at the Rdbi
> package and to producing a first draft for the common database
> interface (which I'm attaching as two text files: DBI.tex and
> figure1.eps).

> The Rdbi package looks quite reasonable to me.  It defines most of
> the core functionality we need, and I think that it wouldn't be too
> hard to make existing packages be compatible with it.  I also have
> some suggestions and comments (in no particular order).

> 1. R/Splus compatibility.

>    From an R/Splus compatibility point of view, I'd suggest
>    renaming Rdbi to something neutral.  Initially I had thought
>    as RSdbi, but why not simply call it DBI -- and thus friendly
>    to both.

I had raised this with Tim.  One could argue for `SDBI' a la Omegahat
but I do not think the `S' is necessary.

I will wait with moving up the packages until the naming has been
deciced.

-k