[R-pkgs] Devtools 0.7
hadley at rice.edu
Wed Jun 20 15:45:29 CEST 2012
The aim of `devtools` is to make your life as a package developer
easier by providing R functions that simplify many common tasks.
Devtools is opinionated about how to do package development, and
requires that you use `roxygen2` for documentation and `testthat` for
testing. Future version will relax these opinions - patches are
welcome! You can track (and contribute to) development of `devtools`
For discussion related to package development with devtools see the
[rdevtools](http://groups.google.com/group/rdevtools) mailing list.
* `install_bitbucket` installs R packages on bitbucket.
* `install` now uses `--with-keep.source` to make debugging a little easier.
* All remote install functions give better error messages in the case of http
errors (Fixes #82).
* `install` has new quick option to make package installation faster, by
sacrificing documentation, demos and multi-architecture binaries. (Fixes
* `install_url`, `install_github` and `install_gitorious` gain a subdir
argument which makes it possible to install packages that are contained
within a sub-directory of a repository or compressed file. (Fixes #64)
* `with_debug` function temporarily sets env vars so that compilation is
performed with the appropriate debugging flags set. Contributed by Andrew
* `revdep`, `revdep_maintainers` and `revdep_check` for calculating reverse
dependencies, finding their maintainers and running `R CMD check`.
* `check_cran` has received a massive overhaul: it now checks multiple
packages, installs dependencies (in user specified library), and parses check
output to extract errors and warnings
* `check` uses new `--as-cran` option to make checking as close to CRAN as
possible (fixes #68)
OTHER NEW FEATURES
* devtools now uses options `devtools.path` to set the default path to use
with devmode, and `github.user` to set the default user when installing
packages from github.
* if no package supplied, and no package has been worked with previously, all
functions now will try the working directory. (Fixes #87)
* on windows, devtools now looks in the registry to find where Rtools is
installed, and does a better a job of locating gcc. (Contributed by Andrew
* `show_rd` passes `...` on to `Rd2txt` - this is useful if you're checking
how build time `\Sexpr`s are generated.
* A suite of `with` functions that allow you to temporarily alter the
environment in which code is run: `in_dir`, `with_collate`, `with_locale`,
`with_options`, `with_path`, ... (Fixes #89)
* `release` ask more questions and randomises correct answers so you really
need to read them (Fixes #79)
* `source_gist` now accepts default url such as "https://gist.github.com/nnn"
* New system path manipulation functions, `get_path`, `set_path`, `add_path`
and `on_path`, contributed by Andrew Redd.
* If you're on windows, `devtools` now suppresses the unimportant warning from
CYGWIN about the dos style file paths
* `decompress` now uses target directory as defined in the function call
when expanding a compressed file. (Fixes #84)
* `document` is always run in a C locale so that `NAMESPACE` sort order is
consistent across platforms.
* `install` now quotes `libpath` and build path so paths with embedded spaces
work (Fixes #73 and #76)
* `load_data` now also loads `.RData` files (Fixes #81)
* `install` now has `args` argument to pass additional command line arguments
on to `R CMD install` (replaces `...` which didn't actually do anything).
* `load_code` does a better job of reconciling files in DESCRIPTION collate
with files that actually exist in the R directory. (Fixes #14)
Assistant Professor / Dobelman Family Junior Chair
Department of Statistics / Rice University
More information about the R-packages