[R-pkgs] devtools 0.6
hadley at rice.edu
Fri Mar 2 13:54:48 CET 2012
The aim of `devtools` is to make your life as a package developer
easier by providing R functions that simplify many common tasks.
Devtools is opinionated about how to do package development, and
requires that you use `roxygen2` for documentation and `testthat` for
testing. Future version will relax these opinions - patches are
welcome! You can track (and contribute to) development of `devtools`
For discussion related to package development with devtools see the
[rdevtools](http://groups.google.com/group/rdevtools) mailing list.
* `test` function takes `filter` argument which allows you to restrict which
tests are to be run
* `check` runs with example timings, as is done on CRAN. Run with new param
`cleanup = F` to access the timings.
* `missing_s3` function to help figure out if you've forgotten to export any
* `check_cran` downloads and checks a CRAN package - this is useful to run as
part of the testing process of your package if you want to check the
dependencies of your package
* `strict` mode for `run_examples` which runs each example in a clean
environment. This is much slower than the default (running in the current
environment), but ensures that each example works standalone.
* `dev_mode` now updates prompt to indicate that it's active (Thanks to Kohske
* new `source_url` function for sourcing script on a remote server via
protocols other than http (e.g. https or ftp). (Thanks to Kohske Takahashi)
* new `source_gist` function to source R code stored in a github gist. (Thanks
to Kohske Takahashi)
* `load_all` now also loads all package dependencies (including suggestions) -
this works around some bugs in the way that devtools attaches the
development environment into the search path in a way that fails to recreate
what happens normally during package loading.
* remote installation will ensure the configure file is executable.
* all external package installation functions are vectorised so you can
install multiple packages at time
* new `install_gitorious` function install packages in gitorious repos.
* new `install_url` function for installing package from an arbitrary url
* include `install_version` function from Jeremy Stephens for installing a
specific version of a CRAN package from the archive.
BETTER WINDOWS BEHAVIOUR
* better check for OS type (thanks to Brian Ripley)
* better default paths for 64-bit R on windows (Fixes #35)
* check to see if Rtools is already available before trying to mess with the
paths. (Fixes #55)
* if an error occurs when calling loading R files, the cache will be
automatically cleared so that all files are loaded again next time you try
* functions that run R now do so with `R_LIBS` set to the current
`.libPaths()` - this will ensure that checking uses the development library
if you are in development mode. `R_ENVIRON_USER` is set to an empty file to
avoid your existing settings overriding this.
* `load_data` (called by `load_all`) will also load data defined in R files in
the data directory. (Fixes #45)
* `dev_mode` performs some basic tests to make sure you're not setting your
development library to a directory that's not already an R library. (Fixes
Assistant Professor / Dobelman Family Junior Chair
Department of Statistics / Rice University
More information about the R-packages