[R-pkgs] igraph package, version 0.5

Gabor Csardi csardi at rmki.kfki.hu
Wed Feb 20 21:11:10 CET 2008

igraph is a package for graphs and networks. It has a C core and
uses a simple and fast graph representation allowing millions
of vertices and edges.

NEW FEATURES:

- We use the ARPACK library for graph related eigenvalue problems,
  like Page Rank calculation, Kleinberg's hub and authority scores,
  eigenvector centrality, etc. There is also a generic interface
  if someone wants to use ARPACK for a different (not necessarily
  graph-related) problem.

- We support the BLISS graph isomorphism algorithm, and the
  implementation of the VF2 algorithm can calculate subgraph isomorphisms
  now.

- We include a collection of "famous" graphs, these can be created
  by referring to their name.

- We have a new 'graph.formula' function, for creating small graphs
  using symbolic names, by giving simple R formulae.

- Many functions support weighted graphs now: Page Rank, modularity
  calculation, the fast greedy community finding algorithm, etc.

- We have a new graph layout algorithm called 'graphopt'.

- A bunch of new functions are added: biconnected components and
  articulation points, dyad and triad census, functions for vertex
  similarity, functions for estimating closeness, betweenness and
  edge betweenness, etc.

- igraph can write files in the DOT format now.

- Some graphics improvements, e.g. it is possible to draw
  graphs on top of each other, etc.

- Many bugs were fixed, the most important one is probably that
  now memory is always properly deallocated when CTRL+C (ESC) is
  used to interrupt a computation.

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

igraph is originally a C library for graphs, but has interfaces
to high level languages like R, Python and Ruby. The R package
contains BOTH the C library and its R interface.

igraph supports:

- graph generators, creating both regular structures like trees,
  lattices, etc. and various random graphs.

- a rich set of functions calculating structural properties of
  graphs, like vertex centrality (degree, betweenness, closeness,
  page rank, eigenvector centrality, Burt's constraints, etc.),
  shortest paths, dyad and triad census, network motifs, girth,
  K-core decomposition, etc.

- attributes can be associated with the vertices/edges of the graph,
  or the graph itself. The attributes can be arbitrary R objects.

- graph visualization using regular R devices, interactive visualization
  using Tcl/Tk, 3D visualization using RGL.

- graph layout generators, the standard Kamada-Kawai and
  Fruchterman-Reingold algorithms are included, plus many more.

- Functions for graph and subgraph isomorphism, the BLISS and the VF2
  algorithms are included.

- Functions for maximal network flows, minimal cuts, vertex and
  edge connectivity.

- igraph can read and write many popular file formats used for
  storing graph data: GraphML, Pajek, GML and others.

- igraph contains implementations of many community structure
  detection algorithms proposed recently.

See more at the igraph homepage:
http://cneurocvs.rmki.kfki.hu/igraph/index.html

--