[R-pkgs] RGL v0.65
dadler at uni-goettingen.de
Sun Aug 21 16:30:45 CEST 2005
RGL Version 0.65 [r405 / 2005-08-14]
The RGL package is a visualization device system for R, using
OpenGL as the rendering backend. An rgl device at its core
is a real-time 3D engine written in C++. It provides an
interactive viewpoint navigation facility (mouse + wheel support)
and an R programming interface.
This is a Beta release. We target a stable release at the end of
* A native Mac OS X / Carbon version is shipped with this release.
No need to start an X11 Server.
The X11 Port is still available, but configure defaults to use Carbon.
* The X11 port has been improved. The crash (using rgl.close() or
has been fixed.
* User-selectable mouse handlers featuring trackball navigation and
* A new interface concept "R3D" is available for preview and discussion
using the function name pattern:
The functions map to rgl functions internally (with some exceptions).
Here's a short list of interesting spots in the interface API:
* par3d() can be used to get/set values on the current RGL device.
* Primitives functions such as points3d(), lines3d(), surface3d(), ...
* First bunch of generic transformation utilities, rendering methods
and mesh objects are implemented.
The rgl interface using the pattern "rgl.XXX()" is still available.
You can decide between more OpenGL/RGL'is low-level functions or
more R'ish functions using the R3D interface concept.
* Rendering of blended surfaces using hierarchical z-sorting.
* New material property: Texture environment mapping
More information about the R-packages