[R-pkg-devel] Disable parallelism on installation time

Alberson Miranda @|ber@onm|r@nd@ @end|ng |rom hotm@||@com
Wed Jul 17 02:18:17 CEST 2024

Dear listeners,

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the following NOTE:

|* checking whether package 'fio' can be installed... [202s/46s] NOTE
Installation took CPU time 4.4 times elapsed time |

Uwe asked if there's code running in parallel by default and, yes, there
was: my code uses rayon (general parallelism) and faer (linear algebra,
with rayon feature on) Rust crates. So I did a little refactor and added
a method to allow the user to specify max threads. Then I started every
example, tests, vignette and readme by limiting threads to 1 to avoid
parallelism.

Nonetheless, I still get the NOTE. Finally, out of despair, I've deleted
vignettes, tests, code on readme and enclosed all examples
with|\dontrun{}|but that didn't work either.

So my question is, besides examples, tests, vignettes and readme,*what
parts of code runs during installation of a R package? Is parallelism
the only trigger for that NOTE or could it be something else?*

Source code is here <https://github.com/albersonmiranda/fio> and there's
also a SO post with my failed attempts
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/78751811/disable-parallelism-on-installation-time>
in detail.