[R-pkg-devel] Is R-Forge dead?

Brian G. Peterson br|@n @end|ng |rom br@verock@com
Tue Jul 2 00:16:44 CEST 2024

Kevin,

I can't speak to whether R-Forge is dead, we migrated our projects to
github a long time ago.

The most straightforward answer for R packages in git repositories is
to use separate git projects.  we were even able to import the entire
SVN history and r-forge issue history to github for each of our r-forge
projects when we migrated. The only major complexity that I recall was
creating a table mapping svn contributors to github users (where
available).

If you want to do it all in one git repository, I strongly suggest that
you *still* import all the svn history, but that you do it in one
directory per project, since this is required by `R CMD build`.  We
sometimes use this 'one package per directory' approach in some of our
private repositories at work.  In this case, if you use an IDE like
RStudio, you'll still create separate *RStudio* projects in each
directory, so that you can build, install, test, etc each package from
the IDE, but you can use a single repository for all of it.

Your future self will thank you for having full version control history
of all the "Olde" (tm) versions.

Best of luck.  - Brian

see reference below about importing an svn repo to git:

Ref:
https://docs.github.com/en/migrations/importing-source-code/using-the-command-line-to-import-source-code/importing-a-subversion-repository

--
Brian G. Peterson