[R-pkg-devel] Altrep header, MSVC, and STRUCT_SUBTYPES macro

Vladimir Dergachev vo|ody@ @end|ng |rom m|nd@pr|ng@com
Thu May 16 06:21:16 CEST 2024

On Wed, 15 May 2024, David Cortes wrote:

> I'm seeing some issues using R Altrep classes when compiling a package
> with the MSVC compiler on windows.
>
> While CRAN doesn't build windows binaries with this compiler, some
> packages such as Arrow and LightGBM have had some success in building
> their R packages with MSVC outside of CRAN, in order to enable
> functionalities that MinGW doesn't support.

Out of curiousity - which functionalities are those ?

One suggestion would be isolate MSVC-specific code in a library and then
build a package linking to that - this might turn out to be more portable.

thank you

Vladimir Dergachev