[R-pkg-devel] CRAN packages dependency on bioconductor packages

Li, Junhui Junhu|@L|11 @end|ng |rom um@@@med@edu
Thu May 16 06:06:43 CEST 2024

Hi Llu�s,

Thanks for your input. I believe it is ok to use a vignette output conditionally with knitr. However,  what confuses me is that I was able to successfully upload StepReg version 1.5.0 to CRAN with BiocStyle listed in the Suggests field. It seems that there is some issues with CRAN check.

Best,
Junhui
From: Llu�s Revilla <lluis.revilla using gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, May 14, 2024 at 18:09
To: Li, Junhui <Junhui.Li11 using umassmed.edu>
Cc: r-package-devel using r-project.org <r-package-devel using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R-pkg-devel] CRAN packages dependency on bioconductor packages
Hi Junhui,

There is a separate log for checking if your package works without suggested packages: in the StepReg results
The noSuggests title leads to: https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/noSuggests/StepReg.out
Where you can see that it fails if a user don't have BiocStyle installed.
I don't know if it is possible to use a vignette output conditionally with knitr: In any case it seems that it would be a requirement (Imports, or Depends).

However, it is best to not use the Bioconductor style for a package in CRAN.
You could use the *_vignette or *_document format directly (from rmarkdown if I recall correctly).
You will remove a dependency and avoid this problem entirely.

Best,

Llu�s