[R-pkg-devel] Fast Matrix Serialization in R?

Ivan Krylov |kry|ov @end|ng |rom d|@root@org
Fri May 10 17:38:43 CEST 2024

On Fri, 10 May 2024 15:12:17 +1200
Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek using R-project.org> wrote:

> I wonder if it may be worth doing something a bit smarter and tag
> officially a "reverse XDR" format instead - that way it would be
> well-defined and could be made the default.

Do you mean changing R so that when reading a "B\n" serialized stream,
a format code read as 0x02000000 or 0x03000000 would mean regular
formats 2 or 3 but byte-swapped? That would be backwards-compatible,
and we probably weren't going to have >= 65536 format versions anyway...

--
Best regards,
Ivan