[R-pkg-devel] Overcoming CRAN's 5mb vendoring requirement

Josiah Parry jo@|@h@p@rry @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu May 9 20:29:29 CEST 2024

> ...but that's a luxury someone would have to pay for.

I'd happily give up my Netflix subscription for this. I suspect the
R-foundation/consortium could assist as well?

Referring to the "Using Rust in CRAN packages" document we must be able to

...download a specific version from a secure and reliable site

but, as far as I can tell, there is no definition of "secure" or "reliable"
or examples of these.
Is there a specification of availability / uptime for the site? Or
otherwise.

*What venues do we have for working on this issue in a formal manner?*

I think that these small issues add up and really do hamper the ability for
R to grow as a language.
Talented developers (that adjective does not apply to myself) spend *a lot* of
time trying to resolve
these issues. And too many (one is too many) have given up on CRAN and
consequently their
contributions to R have dwindled.

There are a number of really great tools that have to handle this
independently (arrow R packages and DuckDB
are good examples) but they have teams and funding behind them. If the bar
is going to be so high to publish
a package, we need to at least make a ladder (tools, packages, templates
etc) to get there.

----

 https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/using_rust.html