[R-pkg-devel] is Fortran write still strictly forbidden?

Berwin A Turlach berw|n@tur|@ch @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu May 9 06:30:52 CEST 2024

Hi Jisca,

On Wed, 8 May 2024 10:37:28 +0200
Jisca Huisman <jisca.huisman using gmail.com> wrote:

> I like to use write() in Fortran code [...] But from 'writing R
> extensions' it seems that there have been quite a few changes with
> respect to support for Fortran code, and it currently reads:
>
> 6.5.1 Printing from Fortran
>
> On many systems Fortran|write|and|print|statements can be used, but
> the output may not interleave well with that of C, and may be
> invisible onGUIinterfaces. They are not portable and best avoided.

I am not aware that there were any recent changes regarding printing
from Fortran recently, or that it was every strictly forbidden (perhaps
it is for packages that are submitted to CRAN?).  In fact, R-exts.texi
for R 1.0.0 states pretty much the same as what you quoted from the
current WRE manual:

  @subsection Printing from Fortran
  @cindex Printing from C

  In theory Fortran @code{write} and @code{print} statements can be
  used, but the output may not interleave well with that of C, and will
  be invisible on GUI interfaces.  They are best avoided.

  Three subroutines are provided to ease the output of information from
  Fortran code.

  @example
  subroutine dblepr(@var{label}, @var{nchar}, @var{data}, @var{ndata})
  subroutine realpr(@var{label}, @var{nchar}, @var{data}, @var{ndata})