[R-pkg-devel] Problem with loading package "devtools" from CRAN.

Mon Apr 29 13:30:20 CEST 2024

Rolf,

This question might have been more appropriate for r-sig-debian than here.
But as Simon noted, the lack of detail makes is difficult to say anything to
aid. It likely was an issue local to your setup and use.

These days, I strongly recommend r2u [1].  As you already use R via CRAN
through apt, r2u adds one more repository after which _all_ R packages are
handled via the same apt operations that you already trust to get you R from
CRAN (as well as anything else on your machine).  This covers all 20+
thousand CRAN packages along with 400 key BioC packages. Handling your
packages with your system package managed guarantees all dependencies are
resolved reliably and quickly. It makes installing, upgrading, managing CRAN
package easier, faster and more reliable.

To double-check, I just spot-checked 'devtools' on an r2u container (on top
of Ubuntu 22.04) and of course devtools install and runs fine (as a binary).
So maybe give r2u a go. "Sixteen million packages served" in two years ...

Cheers, Dirk

[1] https://eddelbuettel.github.io/r2u

--
dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd using debian.org