[R-pkg-devel] puzzling removal of 'dotwhisker' from CRAN

Thu Apr 18 15:04:34 CEST 2024

   The 'dotwhisker' package was archived on CRAN: from
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/dotwhisker/index.html

     Package ‘dotwhisker’ was removed from the CRAN repository

     Archived on 2024-04-12 as requires archived package 'prediction'.

    However, I can't for the life of me see where this dependence could
come from. Neither the DESCRIPTION file of the last-archived version on
CRAN
<https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/dotwhisker/dotwhisker_0.8.1.tar.gz>,
nor the version on github <https://github.com/fsolt/dotwhisker>, seem to
show any signs of importing prediction ... ?? I suppose there's a
possibility of a recursive dependence, but in that case why wouldn't the
direct dependence be reported?

Depends: R (>= 3.2.0), ggplot2 (>= 2.2.1),
Imports: grid, gtable, gridExtra, stats, parameters, performance,
         patchwork, margins, dplyr, stringr, ggstance, rlang, purrr
Suggests: ordinal, tibble, knitr, rmarkdown, broom

   What am I missing?

   (I'm concerned because I have packages that Suggest: dotwhisker, and
the absence of the package from repos is breaking GitHub Actions checks ...)

   (This is cross-posted from an issue on the dotwhisker GH repository:
https://github.com/fsolt/dotwhisker/issues/115)