[R-pkg-devel] error in windows R-devel builder, but not anywhere else

Tony Wilkes tony_@_w||ke@ @end|ng |rom out|ook@com
Sat Apr 13 11:35:18 CEST 2024

Hi everyone,

I am updating my R package (tinycodet), and I have checked my R-package in all operating systems (Linux, Mac, Windows). All examples and tests run correctly for Linux, Mac, and Windows.  Rcmd checks also finds no issues on GitHub (I use rather strict Rcmdcheck workflows on GitHub, so any issues should be found quickly on GitHub; see https://github.com/tony-aw/tinycodet). But on the Win R-devel builder, I get an error. I use a Windows computer myself, and I can see where the error takes place on the win R-devel-builder, but I cannot reproduce the error. The error should not even be there.

The error takes place in the function `strfind(x, p, ..., i, rt)<-`. When the user specifies an incorrect string for the optional argument `rt`, the error message "improper `rt​`given" is called. This is also the error message that occurs in Win R-devel Builder, but it shouldn't be there, since no incorrect string is specified for "rt" there - otherwise, all operating systems would give an error there.
Link to win R-devel builder results: https://win-builder.r-project.org/2mG2vk48tri3/

My package has no Operating System specific functionality.

The fact that this error ONLY happens on win R-devel builder, and not when I run it on my windows laptop, nor on any other OS, nor on the many checks on GitHub, implies the issue might be on the Windows R-devel builder. But I don't want to jump to conclusions. Hence my question is:
Is there currently an issue in win R-devel-builder? If not, why is the error only on win R-devel-builder, and not anywhere else?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Tony