[R-pkg-devel] Suggesting an archived package in the DESCRIPTION file

Tue Mar 5 17:56:09 CET 2024

On 05/03/2024 8:02 a.m., Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 5 March 2024 at 06:25, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> | You could make a compatible version of `survivalmodels` available on a
> | non-CRAN website, and refer to that website in the
> | Additional_repositories field of DESCRIPTION.
>
> Every r-universe sub-site fits that requirement. For this package Google's
> first hit was https://raphaels1.r-universe.dev/survivalmodels and it carries
> the same line on install.packages() that Jeroen adds to every page:
>
>   install.packages('survivalmodels', repos = c('https://raphaels1.r-universe.dev',
>                                                'https://cloud.r-project.org'))

I have mixed feelings about r-universe.  On the one hand, it is really
nicely put together, and it offers the service described above.  On the
other, it's probably a bad idea to follow its advice and use
install.packages() with `repos` as shown:  that will install development
versions of packages, not releases.

Do you know if it's possible for a package to suggest the CRAN version
first, with an option like the above only offered as a pre-release option?

Duncan Murdoch