[R-pkg-devel] Package failing reverse dependency checks

Thu Feb 8 11:23:43 CET 2024

On 08/02/2024 4:24 a.m., David Hugh-Jones wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to upload a new version of my "huxtable" package. It is
> currently failing reverse dependency checks for two packages (homnormal and
> RSStest). The relevant failures are below.
>
> I got this failure one time, and fixed the problem, which relates to
> mistakenly relying on the Suggested: knitr package (see here for the
> commit: https://github.com/hughjonesd/huxtable/commit/5a3edc). After the
> commit, reverse dependency checks for homnormal and RSStest pass on my
> machine, when testing either with revdepcheck::revdep_check or
> tools::check_packages_in_dir, and even when knitr is not installed. But,
> after I uploaded the new package to CRAN, the same failure recurred.
>
> My new release candidate had the same version number as the previous one
> (which had failed the revdep check, and therefore not been published on
> CRAN). Is it possible that CRAN just tested the old version again?

The CRAN policy on re-submission says "Increasing the version number at
each submission reduces confusion so is preferred even when a previous
submission was not accepted."

So yes, I think confusion with the previous submission could have happened.

Duncan Murdoch